Fun and Dramatic Play Ideas as an Explorer
We are great believers in the importance of play for kids. ¬†It helps them to develop language and social skills as well as encouraging them to use their creativity and imagination. ¬†Sometimes it is¬†good¬†to introduce some new ideas to their play repertoire and we are keen to share our Explorer Ideas as part of the A-Z of Dramatic Play series.
Outfit and Props
We used a variety of different things to create our Explorer’s Outfit. ¬†Many of them were things that we had at home and some items we made:
- Large Bag – to store our explorer’s equipment
- Hat – a sun hat with a large brim was ideal
- Camera – we used an old camera
- Binoculars – made from two pieces of kitchen towel tube and held together with sticky tape
- Mobile Phone – we used a toy phone
- Food – a wooden toy ham and cheese¬†sandwich was perfect
- Torch – a working toy torch
- Mirror – explorers never know when they¬†may need one
- Compass – made from a plastic coffee lid with NEWS and a pointer written on with marker
As you can see we just used what we had in the toy box, the wardrobe or we quickly made something to represent what an explorer would need.
Setting the Scene
We had been playing with a home made den and this was a perfect place to start. ¬†Our daughter was happy to sit inside and look at a book about maps whilst we got things ready. ¬†The other things we needed were:
- Variety of toys – we chose animals for this particular play
- A map –¬†crumpled piece of paper with¬†a rough map drawn on it and torn in half
- A small box – for hiding one half¬†of the map with some ‘jewels’
- Some ornamentals owls – to guard the box
- A¬†magic book – a book that had jigsaws for pages
We hid these things around our garden and then gave our daughter part of the map and led her to the explorers hat and bag.
Dramatic Play as an Explorer
What a brilliant afternoon and it did not take her long to take the lead! ¬†Using the compass, the binoculars and part of the map we were soon on our adventure! ¬†We faced balls of fire at the fire mountain which had to be kicked away. ¬†We search the old boats in the sea and found nothing but leaves. ¬†After facing a giant bee, she found a wise owl which told her to look for the golden owls which were guarding the secret box.
We opened the box and found¬†some jewels¬†and the other half of the map. ¬†We made our way up some fire steps and talked to a magic sheep and the King Frog. ¬†Finally we reached a volcano guarded by a giant tiger. ¬†Luckily the tiger was quite interested in the ham and cheese sandwich and as he was munching on that we discovered the magic book!
We returned home to read our new book and make up the jigsaws. ¬†What a perfect adventure and she cannot wait take part in some more Dramatic Play¬†soon!