A Great Monthly Goal For The New Year
Why have we chosen organisation? Do you feel that you are constantly playing catch up? Are there areas of your life that you love and dislike? Want to get more organised but need inspiration? Well, hopefully, this months goal can help us all gain a little more control and get organised! Join us as we share what we are trying to achieve this month!
Why Did We Choose ORGANISATION For Our First Monthly Goal Of The Year?
It all started in November last year when we decided that we were going to declutter in time for Christmas. Every year we are late putting up our tree, getting our advent calendar out for the 1st of December and so on. We miss out on enjoying the build up to Christmas Day because of this. I must admit we get stressed as a family which causes many tears and tantrums from both the adults as well as the kids! By beginning in November to clear out the clutter and organise gifts, shopping and the decorations we were well on track for putting up our tree at the beginning of December!
Now, this may not seem that inspiring but by the middle of December, our family were ill from colds and other illnesses. However, because everything was organised we found that we could recuperate and still enjoy the lead up to Christmas holidays. Everyone felt less stressed and we enjoyed the holiday despite the coughs and colds!
It became clear that decluttering and being more organised was beneficial for everyone in the Witty Hoots home! Here are some areas of our family, work and home life that we will begin to organise this month!
Organising Our School, Work and Family Time.
It is surprising how much time we were all wasting. We run late, miss appointments, fail to catch up on calls, forget important days or events. Here are some of the things we have started to do to organise our time better:
- Time Organisation -We set our alarms earlier and get up when they go off. All the clocks in the house will show the correct time. We will aim to leave the house for work and school 15 minutes before we have to. If we are early then it means we can take some time to breathe and collect our thoughts. Simple.
- Planning in Advance – All school and work washing and ironing, any homework and all work or school bags will be done before Sunday evening. It has saved us time, tears and tantrums this week as we have gone back to work and school.
- Family Organisation – We have a family organiser in the kitchen. Each person has their own part of the calendar to write down events, appointments etc. This means we can organise car journeys, meal plan and so on.
- Holidays and Leisure Time – Both kids have different school holidays as they are in primary and senior secondary school. The eldest also has exams this year and will leave for University in the Autumn. It is essential that we organise our holidays and leisure time properly this year so that we can enjoy our family time together more.
Organisation and Delegating Jobs
This means that we will all start to help each other around the home. It is time to give more responsibility to the kids over cleaning and running the home.
- More Hands Make Light Work – if we all pull together then we can have a clean, tidy and organised home. This will give us more leisure time to spend doing the things we love!
- Value Their Work – not everyone works in the same way or the same order. This month we plan to show everyone what we do and how we can help each other. If our son wants to wash and dry the dishes in a different way to us then that is ok! If our daughter tidies her room and has tried her best then we will praise her for it despite it still being a little messy!
- We Need To Swap Roles Occasionally – we have sort of drifted into our roles around the home. It works well and we are happy with that for the majority of the time. However, we can all swap now and again. This will make us empathise more and help us to understand why we can get frustrated with each other at times. Plus we are sure we can have some great fun doing role swaps and we may even find some of the swaps work better too!
So that is what we have organised or plan to organise this month! We will review what has worked (and what has not worked) next month when we set our Being Healthy Monthly Goal for February!
Monthly Goals for 2016
We are excited to be part of Monthly Goals for 2016 and we look forward to reading all these great posts too!